Achieving Excellence Together Rhagori Gyda'n Gilydd

Tasker Milward and Picton Charity: Student Grants - Grantiau myfyrwyr


What does the Charity do?

The Charity supplements local authority funding by giving grants to the Haverfordwest High VC School for items such as library and text books, IT equipment, other specialist items of equipment which will benefit the whole school, exchange visits organized by the school, presentation events and participation in national or local competitions. 

It also gives grants to individual students under certain circumstances.

Could I receive a grant from the Tasker Milward and Picton Charity?

 Perhaps. The Tasker Milward and Picton Charity will consider applications from past and current students under 25 years of age who have attended Haverfordwest High VC School, Tasker Milward or Sir Thomas Picton Schools and who wish to further their education (including physical and social education). This could be for university or college courses or for short specialist courses such as sport or music.  The application will require details of family income and is means tested. Funding from any other source is also taken into account. Grants vary from contributions towards books and / or course materials to larger amounts in support of living costs, depending upon family income levels.

Grants may be awarded to students under 25 years of age towards the cost of furthering their education.  This will be of particular interest to those of you embarking on courses of further or higher education.

In order to be eligible for consideration, you must have attended Haverfordwest High VC School or the former Tasker Milward VC or Sir Thomas Picton Schools, Haverfordwest and will need to provide evidence of family finances, which are taken into account.

Application forms are obtainable from:

Mrs. A. Evans,

Clerk to the Trustees,

11 Albert Street

Haverfordwest  SA61 1TA

(Tel: 07971 846801 or email


Who decides?

The Charity is managed by eight Trustees who are appointed by the Governors of the school. They normally meet termly with an extra meeting early in the school year to consider applications from students about to embark on courses at university or college. Applicants are informed of the outcome of their application in writing shortly after the meeting.

How can I apply?


Contact the clerk to the Trustees (see the end of this article) for an application form. This will include a request for details of your family’s financial circumstances and the costs associated with your course. Completed forms should be returned to the Clerk either by post or email.

Deadlines for receipt of individual students’ completed grant applications which
should be sent directly to the Clerk to the Trustees:

16th March 2020
7th June 2020

Download the Application Form here


If I'm successful, how is the grant paid?

Grants are usually paid by cheque in termly instalments once evidence of attendance on the course is received from the university or college concerned. Details are provided in the award letter.

Where does the charity get its money from?

 Mostly from the investment of bequests left in wills such as those of John Milward and Mary Tasker, both of whom had great interest in the education of children in Haverfordwest. This is where the Charity gets its name.  Some of these bequests date back to the 17th century. There is also some income from land and property which the Charity owns. 

What else does the charity do?

It fights for the good of the school and its students and led the successful battle to retain the sixth form in the school.

To apply contact

or write to the Clerk to Trustees at 11 Albert Street, Haverfordwest, SA61 1TA